Brand Section Question

• Hi,

In the brand section of the theme I am using image widgets as opposed to brand logo widgets because the link in the brand logo widget opens in a new tab. The problem is that the images appear stacked on mobile device (in vertical position) with no space between them and are also not centered, but left aligned.

Is there anything that can be done about this?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Hello,

Can you provide a link to your site so I can have a look?

Yes, it’s https://www.iplegalstart.com; Look under Industries Served on mobile and see how piled the images look.

Thanks

Hello,

Ok, yes that’s because you’re not using the Brand Widgets.

I recommend you use those and edit line 36 of the brands_widget.php file so that links don’t open in a new tab.

Navigate to Appearance > Theme Editor, select the inc folder, then the widgets folder, then select the brands_widget.php file.

Remove target=”_blank” from line 36 and save your changes.

Hi,

I must admit I am a little hesitant editing theme files because I haven’t done any customization to the theme files so far, plus I don’t have a child theme installed and I am afraid something might break with a future update.
    I don’t want to go out of line here, but I think it would be pretty neat if you gave us link options as part of the brand logo widget.

Thanks

Hello,

Yes that is a good suggestion. I will add it to our requested features list for the next update.

I just remembered that in Parallel the widgets are controlled using the Parallel Extensions plugin and not part of the theme.

So you would have to edit the plugin files.

If you can wait a few days we will release an update for the plugin with option to select new or same tab for links.

Hi,

Sounds great. This is not urgent at all.

Actually, since you are adding features to the brand logo widget, I have another suggestion to make. I think it would be helpful if there was a hint about the recommended image size for this widget, similar to how you told us what the ideal size for the logo is even if the header adjusts.

The images that I created for this section are too big, and I found out through a third party website that they should display as 165 by 110 pixels. I fixed the display, but if I want to reduce the size of the images, I would have to create them anew since I have text ingrained in them. I think this might help other users too.

Thanks for providing support and maintaining this theme.

Hello,

I think we can do that as well.

I’ll let you know once an update is available for the Parallel Extensions Plugin.

Hello,

The Parallel Extensions plugin has been updated with the changes to the Brands Widgets.

Please update the plugin to see the changes.

Hi,
    I tested the brands widget and I like the changes, but for images uploaded here I can’t specify the display settings for the browser or append a css class. Without specifying the display dimensions of the images, the page load score just dips very low.
    Is there something that I am missing here?
    Thanks

Hello,

When uploading images for the web you should try and reduce them in size my compressing them with a service like https://compressjpeg.com/ or https://tinyjpg.com/

Also, images should be larger than 1900px in width.

That will help decrease the page load time.

Hi,

I am not concerned about the size of the images or about compressing the images. I am missing the attachment display settings for the images. This feature is available for the Image widget (through the Edit Image Button) and for images uploaded to a page, but not for the brands widget, team member widget, or the logo.
    I found this illustration on the web: Image Display Settings

Hello,

Yes that is correct, it is only available for those default widgets.

You can re-size images you upload directly in the Media Manager.

Once it’s been resized to the size you want you can select it from within the Brands widget.

This video will help you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLz5etrObQE

Hi,

I know that you can resize images within WordPress, which now allows you to scale images within the Media Library, but that is not the problem. Even for images that are the right size, there needs to be a way to specify the image dimensions, that is, width and height, which allows for faster rending by eliminating the need for unnecessary reflows and repaints. Scaling the images does not do that.

I am pretty sure WordPress used to have this feature natively within the Media Library, but now it’s a problem for all images uploaded outside of a page/post/Image widget, including logos, new hero images, brands, and team members. This greatly affects the page load score, if not the load time. Also, without the display settings, there’s no way to append a custom class to these images and, for example, add a hover effect.

I just thought there might be something that can be done about this, but if not then I’ll just leave it like this.

Thanks

I see what you mean.

There may be a solution but we’ll have to look into it further.

No one else has requested or mentioned this before, you’re the first.

But, I will look into it.

If we can find a solution we may include in future updates.

Tagged: 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.